Ephemerisle 2012 took place from June 6 to 10 at Mandeville Tip, the same location as the previous year. The event grew significantly this year, with houseboats and sailboats numbering at least 25 and attendance estimated around 300. This year we experimented with a city in three separate sections and a more complex anchoring plan, we built two community platforms as large as the 2011 platform, and we faced much tougher winds than we did in 2011.
Photos and videos
Please add links to your photo albums and videos of the event below!
- Matt Bell
- Abid Mohsin
- Video - Launching the rope barge that connected the two rafts
- Tanya’s photos and a few videos (including Jellypus and fire dancing
- Add a link here
While your memories are fresh, add your thoughts: What worked and what didn’t in 2012?
List of 2012 incidents.
Starting early at dreaming bigger? Plans to do more in 2013
- Add a talk here
What did you help build or create this year?
- Jellypuss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsBFVEs4MfQ&feature=related
- Dance platform
- Cuddle gallery platform and dome
- Lemonade and lasers
Unofficial statistics for Ephemerisle 2012
- Population: \~290 (including day trippers)
- Ephemerisle (the discussion group) members: 597
- Fully funded projects: 9
- Total donations: $7,898
- Unique donors: \~113
- Avg donation: $70 (very loose #’s as didn’t have the actual data of individual donors)
- Number of houseboats: 21
- Number of other boats: 9+
- Anchors set: 19
- Anchors lost (temporarily): 2
- Anchors lost (permanently): 2
- Community Platforms: 2
- Rescues from the water: \~11
- Whale rescues from the water: 1
- Rescued whales hoisted to a mast: 1
- Couples married: 1
- Coast Guard Calls: 1
- Coast Guard Hotties: 1
- Injuries requiring medical attention (1 head gash, patched with skull & crossbones bandaids)
- Deaths: 0
Ephemerisle 2012 will happen during June 6-10.
Key communication details - every boat should have this info.
2012 city layout… subject to change.
If you want to view the performance/broadcast schedule, make your request to thipdar ta gmail tod com. If you would like to play CDs for Radio FMerisle or be a performing DJ, you can send a request for a time slot to the same e-mail address.
Fill out the boat/platform survey so we can plan the city. Learn how to build your own floating platform! Come to the build your own land event, April 7-8. Download Ratha Grimes’ 2011 platform design.
- Central Platform FULLY FUNDED - Bring back the Central Platform from last year and expand it to be 24’x28’.
- Cuddle Platform / Gallery FULLY FUNDED - Ephemerisle needs a space where community members can chill out, cuddle among friends, admire art, practice yoga, and talk about all the great ideas that our floating festival inspires!
- Anchoring FULLY FUNDED - This has been a problem in the past at Ephemerisle. We met our original goal. Now we’re looking for a couple of hundred extra dollars for additional rope and chain. Help ensure Ephemerisle literally doesn’t get blown away.
- Jellypus FULLY FUNDED - a massive underwater octopus like light show. There is a second round of funding to cover extra costs to the project.
- Lemonade and Lasers FULLY FUNDED - a floating lemonade stand with lasers.
- The Amphibious Red Couch FULLY FUNDED - a Bicycle-Pedal-Powered Paddlewheel Pontoon Couch
- Performers and equipment
- support the Radio FMerisle Saturday Night Dance Party. About $1,400 in expenses paid out-of-pocket and the event was cancelled due to high winds. Still time to donate, if you want to express appreciation for Rion Fish’s Friday evening performance.
- Speed Limit Signs TIMED OUT - temporary floating speed limit signs, to warn boaters to slow down near Ephemerisle. These signs will be reuseable for years. Overly-optimistic; signs were not stable in high wind.
- Well deserved rum FULLY FUNDED - send bottles of rum along to Paul Wheeler and the two people (who despite not being able to attend Ephemerisle) loaned us the big expensive 60lb anchors.
- Repay for Paul’s Cut Anchor FULLY FUNDED - Paul lost an anchor at some point; most likely someone motored over his anchor line. Adam found a nice used anchor, but let’s get this and his bottle of rum.
- Platform Storage
- rental on the storage unit for the platforms